View a list of upcoming and past Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
- This event has passed.
March 3 @ 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Exploring Rice Lake
Join us on March 3 for a scenic, family friendly hike around Rice Lake in North Vancouver. The trail around the lake is 3 kilometres and there is minimal elevation; it takes approx. 1 hour (without stops!). Expect to see a variety of wildlife and some large trees such as Western Red Cedars and Douglas Firs. Depending on weather and time, some families might want to hike down to the canyon afterwards.
Our Nature Mentor will be our very own Leslie Bol. Leslie did her master’s degree in herpetology (the study of amphibians and reptiles). She will bring a dip net in the hopes of finding some rough skinned newts in the lake.
Location: To get there, take Lillooet Rd. to our meeting place at “Rice Lake Gate.” The parking lot is at the top of Lillooet Rd., where the bathroom icon is on the attached map. If you have any questions about the meet-up location, please let us know.
The trail is wide enough for single strollers. Dogs are not allowed on the trail. If you’d like to bring snacks and drinks, there are places to stop along the way. There are public washrooms at Rice Lake Gate.
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days. (Friends are welcome if space permits.)
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.