Explorer Days are nature-related outings organized by each club’s volunteer leader(s). Most clubs have Explorer Days once a month. For some Explorer Days, you may build nets and go pond dipping for aquatic insects; on others, you may go explore a local tide pool, learn about mushrooms in a forest, paint, or go bird watching. View a list of upcoming and past Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
- This event has passed.
January 19 @ 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Family Friendly Snowshoeing Adventure!
We are very happy to welcome back local environmental educator Shanoon Bennett, who will lead us on a snowy exploration of animal habitat and winter survival strategies. Have you ever wondered how animals meet their needs for food and shelter all winter long? We’ll be treated to an afternoon of discovery, fun and games, and some great exercise too!Thanks to continued financial support from the RDCK, all equipment is provided.
Location: Meet at 1pm at the parking area for the Busk cross country ski trails. Heading south from Nelson towards Salmo, you turn at the next left past the turnoff to Whitewater. There’s a map here that shows the Busk parking lot: http://nelsonnordicski.ca/
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- First and foremost: be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days. (Friends are welcome if space permits.)
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping (feel free to fill it out prior to your event!) and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- To take part in any Explorer Day, all children must be accompanied by an adult guardian, who are responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen (if needed!), snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.