View a list of upcoming and past Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
- This event has passed.
December 28, 2018 @ 10:00 am - 1:30 pm
Christmas Bird Count for Kids!
This December there is a bonus Explorer day – the Christmas Bird Count 4 kids at Buttertubs Marsh held on Friday Dec 28 from 10:00am – 1:30pm. We did this last year as well, with out partners Bird Studies Canada and the city of Nanaimo, and it was a great success. Just a heads up though, we will only be holding the event every other year from now on, so the next one won’t be until 2020!
We will once again have a warming station as our base and meeting place (the Miner’s Cottage on JinglePot rd) with treats and hot drinks, and some activities in addition to the count itself. The count will be led by experienced birders; please bring binoculars if you have them.
I’ve attached the Poster produced by the city for this program. Any families that would like to attend please use my RSVP form (which I will send out shortly) AND register through the city online registration process. The program is free but there is limited space, so please register ASAP if you are interested in attending this event.
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days. (Friends are welcome if space permits.)
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.