View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
- This event has passed.
Invasive Species of BC (VIRTUAL EXPLORER DAY)
October 24 @ 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
Invasive Species of BC
Join us and the Invasive Species Council of BC (ISCBC) to learn about three of the world’s most notorious invasive species. We will discuss the Japanese Beetle (Popillia japonica), the Asian Giant Hornet (Vespa mandarinia) and the European Green Crab (Carcinus maenas), their presence in British Columbia and what you can do to help.
Our mentor will be Nick Wong – he is the ISCBC’s research and projects coordinator. He has diverse experience working previously in Pacific salmon and herring fisheries in BC, and has a PhD in Marine Ecology from the University of Auckland, New Zealand. Nick is passionate about teaching and creating engaging opportunities for people to learn and understand the role they can play in the prevention and mitigation of invasive species.
Meeting ID: 860 4122 2213
Dial by your location: 1 778-907-2071
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.