Explorer Days are nature-related outings organized by each club’s volunteer leader(s). Most clubs have Explorer Days once a month. For some Explorer Days, you may build nets and go pond dipping for aquatic insects; on others, you may go explore a local tide pool, learn about mushrooms in a forest, paint, or go bird watching. View a list of upcoming and past Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
Events for February 24, 2019
Events Search and Views Navigation
Snow Cave Building and Campfire We'll head out near Harper Ski Hill and have fun in the snow. Campfire and hot chocolate to follow. Stay tuned for more details!Find out more »
Tsolum River Investigation We will explore the Headquarters of the Townsite Park in Merville, check out the Fitzgerald Trail and learn about the Tsolum River, as well as the history of this area as one of the first townsites in the Comox Valley. Laura O'Brian from the Tsolum River Reservation Society will be our Nature […]Find out more »
Shuswap Search and Rescue and AdventureSmart program! We will do our "Lost in the Snow" Explorer Day again this year! Come to learn how to be prepared when travelling outdoors especially in winter. Have fun playing with avalanche beacons and other rescue gear. Place: Klahani Park, South Canoe Bring: Snowshoes if you have (not required), […]Find out more »
Animal Tracking Join us and Nature Mentor Doug Janz as we learn about the different tracks that animals make. Location: once again we are holding this Explorer Day at our Doumont Road location. See a map and get full directions here. We run our events the last Sunday of every month from 1-3pm. Email us […]Find out more »
Shelter in the Cold Join Anthea Farr & & Sarah Brookes as we explore the forest and search for shelters that could be used by our feathered and furry friends during the winter. See if you can spot a steelhead making its way up the river by the Hatchery. Wear warm layers, and bring your […]Find out more »
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- First and foremost: be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days. (Friends are welcome if space permits.)
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping (feel free to fill it out prior to your event!) and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- To take part in any Explorer Day, all children must be accompanied by an adult guardian, who are responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen (if needed!), snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.