View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
VICTORIA – Ivy Pull at Haro Woods
- 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm
Let’s tackle that Ivy, Haro Woods Saanich
On this Explorer Day, we will put environmental stewardship into practice with our Nature Mentor Lindsay Coulter.
Lindsay is a volunteer Lead Steward for Saanich Parks in Haro Woods. She is also the former David Suzuki’s Queen of GreenTM, a naturalist, educator, facilitator, writer, and parent. Her work has been to coach, mentor and educate parents, teachers, and childcare staff to foster a deep connection with the living world. She believes nature is the classroom, a teacher, and a healer.
English Ivy will be our focus on this day. We will be clearing ivy to stop it from spreading throughout the park and instead make way for native plants to thrive and become established. Ivy is invasive and is choking out native plants. Throughout the year it grows a lot, forming carpets that even climb trees! When it takes over a tree it makes that tree more vulnerable to environmental stressors like high winds or drought. It can kill a tree all together. Later in the Fall, we can replant areas that are cleared of ivy to replenish the foliage and improve habitat for wildlife!
Please RSVP here.
FOR MORE INFO on other volunteer stewardship opportunities and to learn more about Haro Woods.
WHEN: Saturday, October 16th, 1:00pm to ~ 2:30pm
WHERE: Eagle Rock (inside the woods off Finnerty Rd.). Look for a Haro Woods green sign marker at trailhead off newly paved walkway/bike trail which runs along Finnerty.
DIRECTIONS BY TRANSIT: #11 bus until UVic daycare on Finnerty @Edgelow or metered spaces are available at UVic daycare (3889 Finnerty Rd). Also parking north on Edgelow in front of Arbutus Middle School.
COME PREPARED: Participants should dress for the weather. We will run rain or shine but not in high winds (above 60 km/hour) or a snow day. Bring garden or work gloves, but there are some extras to loan (not kid-sized). Bring a snack and water. There are no washrooms.
SAFETY PROTOCOLS: There will be a sign in sheet/waiver upon arrival. We will mostly stay in our family “pods” and social distance where possible. Masks are optional for adults, but are highly recommended where distance cannot be maintained. We will be outdoors the entire time!
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.