View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
VICTORIA – Birding at Rocky Point Bird Observatory
- 9:30 am - 11:00 am
The weather is changing and the birds are moving. On this Explorer Day we will learn all about birds and see them in the hand! Rocky Point Bird Observatory (RPBO) has a bird banding station where we will witness ecological monitoring in action! At the bird banding station we will watch a bird banding demonstration to learn all about how and why we band birds. Dedicated volunteers and nature mentors Ann and Deanna will also be setting up a table with bird nests, eggs, feathers and bones for us to look at and talk about.
For more information visit http://rpbo.org/
WHERE: Pedder Bay, Metchosin. Meet and park at the Pedder Bay RV Resort and Marina at the end of Pedder Bay Drive (925 Pedder Bay Drive off Rocky Point Road). Turn right just before the Marina parking lot and park in the grassy area. Allow approximately 45 minutes driving time from Victoria. MAP LINK
DIRECTIONS: From Victoria… follow Route 1 travelling west, exit to Highway 1A. Follow Highway 1A to the Metchosin Road exit. Turn left on Metchosin Road and follow to Happy Valley Road. Turn right on Happy Valley Road and follow to Rocky Point Road. Turn left on Rocky Point Road and travel 5km and look for the Pedder Bay Marina signs.
COME PREPARED: Wear warm layers for being outdoors as it can be cool in the morning. If you have binoculars, feel free to bring those too!
SAFETY PROTOCOLS: There will be a sign in sheet/waiver upon arrival. We will likely split up into two groups, depending on numbers, will stay in our family “pods” and take care to social distance. Masks are optional for adults, but preferred and highly recommended.
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.