View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
- 9:30 am - 11:30 am
Migratory Bird Sanctuaries with Eagle Wing Tours
We are super excited to offer this Explorer Day to join the award winning Eagle Wing Tours to view and learn about the diverse marine bird and mammal life in the coast around Victoria. We will have a two-hour guided tour around the migratory bird sanctuaries in the harbour. We will have a knowledgeable and enthusiastic naturalist guide on the boat from Eagle Wing Tours.
(Please note that this tour is not a whale watch per se; we will focus on marine life that we discover in our near shore waters.)
Our “floating classroom” -the luxury catamaran 4Ever Wild- has indoor and outdoor viewing areas and two bathrooms.
Eagle Wing is generously offering us this opportunity at a basic cost that covers their fuel charges (approx $28 per person— instead of the cost to the public of $100).
Because we can have a maximum of 50 people on the boat, we will offer this Explorer Day to MEMBERS ONLY (children aged 5-12 and parent/guardian; no younger or older siblings). Sign up will be first come first served and advance payment will hold your spot (payment will likely be by e-transfer.) I will be in touch to confirm with those who sign up (via the RSVP form) and to detail further logistics (after Feb. 3rd).
WHEN: Saturday, February 22nd, 9:30am – 11:30am. We will depart at 9:30am. Arrive no later than 8:45am to get ready. There will be online waivers to sign in advance to make sign in go more smoothly the day of the excursion. We will have a safety meeting with our guide before the tour to ensure that everyone is aware of any rules and stays safe!
COST: ~$28 per person (including children) if all 50 spots on the boat are filled. Advance payment will be required to hold your spot and more details will follow once you are registered on this form.
WHERE: Meet at the Eagle Wings Tour office at 12 Erie Street at Fisherman’s Wharf in Victoria (it is on the water; down the ramp and to the right).
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.