View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
- This event has passed.
January 18, 2020 @ 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm PST
Hike to Devonian Regional Park
WHERE: Meet at the Main Parking lot, 4749 William Head Rd, Victoria
DIRECTIONS to the Devonian Regional Park:
By car from Downtown Victoria: Go north on Highway 1 and take exit 10 toward View Royal/Colwood. Merge onto Burnside Road West and continue on Old Island Highway (Hwy 1A), to Sooke Road. Old Island Highway becomes Sooke Road and, about 2km after this name change, turn left at the intersection onto Metchosin Road. Follow Metchosin Road for the next 8km until you reach a 3-way intersection. Go straight through the intersection as the road is now named William Head Road. A short 2km drive further and the gravel parking lot for Devonian Regional Park is on your left.
Trail maps: https://www.victoriatrails.
Description of trail: 40 km elevation gain along well-developed trail through forest.
BRING: Any snacks that you’d like as well as appropriate outerwear and sturdy footwear for a hike and for the weather.
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.