View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
- 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Creepy, Crawly Critters at Swan Lake
Are you squeamish, or do you mind having critters crawl on you? Swan Lake Christmas Hill Nature Sanctuary is putting on a public event sponsored by the Victoria Natural History Society and the Victoria Bug Zoo. Come join us on this Explorer Day to learn fascinating facts about spiders and other insects. They may introduce you to the bug zoo’s famous tarantula. If the bugs are too much, you can take in the local wildlife by taking a walk along the nature trails throughout the park.
WHERE to meet and park: Follow the signs to the Swan Hill Sanctuary off McKenzie Avenue and you will get to a parking lot close to the Nature House. The event will be set up in the Nature House, so we will meet in there.
OTHER LOGISTICS: Admission is by donation and the suggested donation is $5 per person.
Dogs are not allowed in the park so please leave your animals at home.
MORE INFORMATION: https://www.swanlake.bc.ca/
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.