View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
- This event has passed.
February 5, 2017 @ 1:00 pm PST
World Wetlands Day Sunday February 5th
Wetlands play critically important roles in flood control, maintaining water quality, as habitat for diverse animal and plant life, and much more. Wetlands have been severely impacted and lost around the world due to agricultural, industrial, and other human impacts. February 2nd is World Wetlands Day and we will celebrate it (on Feb 5th) by visiting the last remaining peat bog on the Saanich Peninsula: Rithet’s Bog.
Come join NatureKids for a scavenger hunt and a guided walk around Rithet’s Bog led by our Nature Mentor, Russ Pym, of the Rithet’s Bog Conservation Society. Come have fun and learn about the great work that is being done to protect and restore this important wetland.
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.