View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
- This event has passed.
May 5, 2018 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm PDT
Bird Box Building
We have received a stewardship grant from TD Friends of the Environment that will pay for us to make nest boxes to help our native cavity nesting birds! Scott Reid, Seminar Coordinator with Lee Valley Tools is providing us with materials, the workspace, and guidance on building the nest boxes.
We will have two sessions to build the nest boxes: 1) 10 AM- noon, and 2) noon- 2 pm. We will have a nature mentor available from 11:30-12:30 to teach us more about birds and cavity nesters.
Choose from one of two sessions:
1) 10 AM (Session 1)
2) 12 PM (Session 2)
Building bird boxes, Lee Valley Tools, Colwood. In between the 2 sessions, from ~11:30-12:30 we will have a bird expert on site.
We are limited to 12 nest boxes per session. So to give more people the opportunity to participate and for safety reasons, only members aged 5-12 can make a nest box, and depending on demand, we may need to limit it to one nest box per family.
We will email you with a confirmed time.
WHEN: Saturday May 5th, 2018; Session 1: 10-12 OR Session 2: 12-2, with information about birds from a nature mentor available between the two sessions from 11:30-12:30.
WHERE: Lee Valley Tools, 314 Wale Road, Colwood.
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.