View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
VANCOUVER – Halloween Hike at Whyte Lake
- 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Halloween Hike at Whyte Lake
What better thing to do on the morning of Hallowe’en, Oct. 31, than go on a hike! We are thrilled to have Stephen Hui, author of “Destination Hikes In and Around Southwestern British Columbia” to guide us on this fall hike. This is a great opportunity to learn from an expert about hiking while we explore this scenic area of wetlands and forest. And you’ll get home in plenty of time to get ready for Trick or Treating!
This 5 Kms hike will take approx. 2 hours. Our destination will be the small, peaceful Whyte Lake in the hills of West Vancouver. On the trail we’ll pass old growth forest groves of Western Cedar and Douglas Fir, and see several old growth giants. We’ll also look for signs of fall in the area as we hike.
Please note: The path has some uphill areas, and the elevation and length of the hike may be difficult for some of our younger members. That being said, the whole family is welcome including teens.
More information on this hike from #Vancouvertrails can be found here.
Weather: We will go rain or shine, but will cancel in the case of torrential rain.
What to Wear/Bring: Hikers should have hiking boots or shoes, or sturdy footwear. Bring warm layers, snacks and plenty of water, and possibly rain gear.
Meeting Place: The parking lot at the Whyte Lake Trailhead, off Westport Road in West Vancouver. See maps below.
You can listen to a recent interview with Stephen Hui about fall hiking on CBC’s Early Edition. More information about Stephen’s latest book can be found here. Stephen is currently working on a book about hiking with children.
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.