View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
- This event has passed.
October 14, 2017 @ 6:30 am - 8:30 am PDT
Our Leafy Neighbours – why we need trees in our city and streets
Nature Mentor: Dr. Cecil Konijnendijk van den Bosch with UBC Forestry
1:30 to 3:30 Meet at Jericho Beach parking east near 2nd Ave and Point Grey Rd
Vancouver is a green city, and our streets and neighbourhoods include trees of many different species and sizes. This Explorer Day looks at our trees and the ways in which they make our cities and lives better. We will learn how we can measure trees and see how well they are doing, as this is important for managing them. We will also see what animals are living in trees, and talk about our favourite trees and why we like them.
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.