View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
- This event has passed.
July 15 @ 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm PDT
Camosum Bog Exploration
Join us for our first in-person Explorer Day since November! We will be exploring Camosum Bog(xʷməm̓qʷe:m), a rare and beautiful ecosystem located within Vancouver’s Pacific Spirit Park, with Nature Mentor Laura Cottle. This bog was almost lost to us until a dedicated group of volunteers began to restore the area in 1995. Nowadays, the bog is accessible via a boardwalk that runs around the perimeter of the area.
Laura is the Program Coordinator for the Pacific Spirit Park Society (PSPS), and she will lead us on an investigation of the bog area. We will learn about the importance of bogs, the history of how Camosun bog was formed, and we’ll examine some of the special plants that love living in the bog. We’ll also learn about the local Indigenous People’s links to this place.
No special clothing or footwear is necessary; however, please dress for the weather. Be aware that there is limited shade in the bog so take care with sun protection (sunscreen, hats, etc.).
Due to our Covid 19 guidelines, and the small size of the boardwalk around the bog, the attendance maximum for this Explorer Day is 15 people.
Register for this Explorer Day here.
Masks are optional and preferred for adults and children 6 years and over.
Meeting Location: The north entrance of Camosun Bog at Camosun Street just south of West 19th Ave on the west side of Vancouver. See (2) maps below.
Street parking is available. Buses #25 and #33 have stops close to Camosun St. and W. 16th Ave., walking distance to the meeting location.
Feel free to come a little early to sign waiver forms, as the tour will start right at 6:30.
More information about Camosun Bog can be found here.
More information about Pacific Spirit Park Society can be found here.
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.