View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
VANCOUVER – Cancelled
- 10:00 am - 11:30 am
Learning about North Shore Black Bears
On this Explorer Day we’ll go to Rice Lake in North Vancouver with guides Luci and Danielle from the North Shore Black Bear Society. Our guides will teach us about bear biology, behaviour, seasonal habits, and what bears like to eat. We’ll also learn to be bear detectives so we can tell if bears have been using the area. Most importantly, we’ll learn about best practices for living and playing in bear country and what to do if you encounter a bear.
We will be walking on forest trails so dress for the weather and wear sturdy shoes that you don’t mind getting a bit wet. This Explorer Day will be limited to 15 people.
For more information about all the great work the North Shore Black Bear Society is doing to protect black bears, see https://northshorebears.com/home.
Safety! Luci is certified in bear safety and awareness with the Commercial Bear Viewing Association. Our group will use our voices to let all the wildlife know that humans are in the area, so we won’t be surprising any bears. Luci will also be carrying bear spray, although it is extremely unlikely this will be needed.
We will meet close to the Rice Lake Gate. You’ll see public washrooms and, of course, bear proof garbage bins, which is a good meeting spot. From Vancouver, take the Second Narrows Bridge, turn right on Mountain Highway and head up the hill, then turn right at Lynn Valley Road followed by another right at Peters Road. Follow signs to the parking lot. See map below.
For public transit, the 229 bus from Phibbs Exchange in North Vancouver will drop you off at the park. Check translink.ca for details.
Please RSVP here.
Because our Explorer Days are held outdoors, we have the opportunity to properly social distance. However, in the forest trails, this is not always possible so, please bring face masks for all participants over age 5.
Please do not register for this event if you or anyone in your family bubble has symptoms of COVID-19 such as coughing, fever, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of taste/smell, or if you have been in contact with someone who has such symptoms or tested positive.
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.