View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
- This event has passed.
October 17, 2020 @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm PDT
Native Planting by Renfrew Ravine
On Saturday, October 17th from 2:00 – 4:00 PM, our Vancouver Club will participate in another Explorer Day focused on ecological restoration. This time we’ll go to Renfrew Ravine (north end) in East Vancouver with Nature Mentors from the Still Moon Arts Society and Still Creek Streamkeepers. Our guides will teach us about the importance of native plants for land and water habitats and ecosystems. Then we’ll remove some invasive species in the ravine and replace them with native plant species.
If you have your own garden or work gloves, feel free to bring them; however, gloves, shovels, and hand sanitizer will be provided. Dress for the weather, and wear sturdy, water-resistant shoes that you don’t mind getting a bit muddy. Families are encouraged to bring their own snacks and drinks.
To learn more about our mentors’ organizations, visit stillmoon.org.
We will be meeting at the entrance to the boardwalk by Renfrew St. and the Boyd Diversion (close to E. 22nd Ave). See attached map.
If you are taking public transit, check the Translink Trip Planner to find your best route. https://new.translink.ca/trip-planner.
Please RSVP here.
We will be following NatureKids BC’s recommended protocol to ensure that we are doing everything in our power to stop the spread of COVID-19. Because our Explorer Days are held outdoors, we have the opportunity to properly social distance. Face masks are welcome but not required.
Please do not register for this event if you or anyone in your family bubble has symptoms of COVID-19 such as coughing, fever, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of taste/smell, or if you have been in contact with someone who has such symptoms or tested positive.
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.