View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
- This event has passed.
September 27, 2020 @ 10:00 am - 11:30 am PDT
20th Anniversary Celebration: Tree Planting at Jericho Beach Park
Join us to celebrate 20 years at our next Explorer Day: Tree Planting at Jericho Beach Park. The Jericho Stewardship Group (JSG) will be our Nature Mentors and we’ll learn all about the native species of the park and what JSG is doing to protect it. Our NatureKids Vancouver Club will be contributing to the enhancement of the park by planting a wide variety of trees and shrubs including Vine Maple, Big Leaf Maple, Bitter Cherry, Saskatoon, Grand Fir, Indian Plum and Elder. This Explorer Day will be part of the 20th Anniversary of NatureKids BC and we hope you will be able to stay for the celebration, which is from 11:00 to 11:30.
The Jericho Stewardship Group is a volunteer organization whose mission is to enhance the natural habitat of Jericho Beach Park in collaboration with the Vancouver Park Board. For more information on JSG see http://jerichostewardship.
Meeting Location: We will be meeting on the West side of the park at the entry point where NW Marine Dr. and Discovery St. intersect (See map below).
COVID-19: The Jericho Stewardship Group has been following the Parks Board protocol to ensure they are doing everything in their power to stop the spread of COVID-19. They will have hand sanitizer available but ask that you bring your own gardening gloves if possible. Families are also encouraged to bring their own drinks. We will have plenty of space to spread out as our work area is quite large. Face masks are welcome but not required.
Please do not register for this event if anyone in your family bubble has symptoms of COVID-19 such as coughing or fever, or if anyone in your bubble has been in contact with someone who has such symptoms or tested positive. Thank-you!
Please RSVP here.
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.