View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
- This event has passed.
November 17, 2019 @ 9:00 am - 11:00 am PST
Birding Survey at UBC Farm
Join us for a birding survey at UBC Farm with Nature Mentors from Nature Vancouver. Over 100 species of birds have been seen at this site during monthly surveys. On this bird focused Explorer Day, we’ll be looking for wintering birds. You may want to become familiar with some of these before our tour, such as the Northern Flicker, Black-capped Chickadee, Song Sparrow, Dark-eyed Junco, Spotted Towhee, and American Goldfinch. Our approximately 1.5 km walk will take us through farm fields, the children’s garden area, a mature second growth conifer forest, and a young alder forest.
We’ll meet at 9 AM at the main gate to the UBC Farm, located on South Campus, at 3461 Ross Drive. If you are taking the bus, consult Translink for directions from your home. The farm gate is locked so please be punctual, as we will all need to enter together.
Bring binoculars if you have them. We will have some to share. Also, there will be a spotting scope (a small portable high-power telescope) set up at low height to accommodate our kids. Remember to dress for the weather as bird watching often involves some standing around.
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.