View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
- 11:30 am - 1:30 pm
Be a Sea Star!
We will explore the rocky beach at Lumberman’s Arch in Stanley Park guided by Nature Mentor Leo Ching from OceanWise. In this low-tide beach walk, we’ll become true Sea Stars by learning about the ecology of the area and how we can protect the ocean – information we can share with friends and family. A few of the animals we’ll keep an eye out for are crabs, mussels, snails, worms, isopods, chitons, and barnacles. We may even find some 5-armed sea stars, urchins, and fish. We’ll start off by learning about beach etiquette to ensure that we aren’t harming any of the creatures that call this place home.
Be prepared for a variety of weather conditions as the shore can often be cooler and more windy than inland. Layer clothing and pack a hat and waterproof jacket; we go rain or shine. In the case of heavy rain, this event may be canceled. For footwear, wear something that has a good grip and you don’t mind getting a little wet. The rocky shore can be challenging to walk on in places and is sometimes slippery; however, boots are not required. A small magnifying glass and camera can be useful to bring as well. We’ll have some bags available to collect garbage.
We’ll meet at the Stanley Park Water Park just down from the Vancouver Aquarium. There is pay parking throughout Stanley Park and a parking lot close to the meeting area. The #19 bus stops by the miniature railway, a 5-minute walk from the meeting point.
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.