View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
- 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Birding in Maplewood Flats Conservation Area
For our next Explorer Day we are headed to Maplewood Flats in North Vancouver. The Maplewood Flats Conservation Area is a wonderful, family friendly place to go bird watching. More than 200 hundred species of birds are spotted in the park annually. This Explorer Day will be an easy hike, with lots of opportunity to spot and identify birds in the park’s trees and lakes, and along the shoreline. Our nature mentor, John Morton, is an expert birder and will be sharing his extensive knowledge and experience with us. For those of you who are keen to record your observations in an artistic way we will bring along duck outlines that can be filled in with the different coloration associated with the species we see
Where: Maplewood Flats Conservation Area, https://www.vancouvertrails.com/trails/maplewood-flats/
What to bring: Please come dressed for the weather and bring binoculars and cameras. We also recommend a thermos with a hot drink as well! We may do some colouring or drawing so if you can bring your own pencil crayons, crayons or markers that would be great.
Please RSVP here. Looking forward to seeing you there!
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.