View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
- 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
Christmas Bird Count for Kids!
The Christmas Bird Count for Kids (CBC4Kids) is a fun, family-friendly bird watching event that builds bird identification skills and contributes to important citizen science for bird conservation.
The adventure begins with a short indoor session that helps build skills on how to identify birds and practice using binoculars. We then head outdoors, and each participant (and accompanying parents/grandparents/
Complimentary light refreshments (snacks, hot cocoa and tea) are available.
This family event is suitable for children ages 5-12 and children must be accompanied by an adult. Indoor activities are available for younger siblings and parents who would prefer to stay inside during the bird count.
- Warm clothes, rain gear and appropriate footwear
- Binoculars and bird field guide if available (otherwise provided)
- Snack and water
Location: Meet us on the second floor of the Stanley Park Pavilion.
The event is co-hosted by Bird Studies Canada, NatureKids BC and Stanley Park Ecology Society.
The event is free, but registration is required: https://goo.gl/forms/TrGJP1tTxKlqV1lN2
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.