View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
- This event has passed.
September 23, 2018 @ 10:30 am - 12:30 pm PDT
We will join Ocean Wise for a low-tide beach walk at Lumbermen’s Arch in Stanley Park. We’ll explore the exposed rocky shore to discover some of the critters that aren’t visible at higher tides, and learn about the differing adaptations and habitats required to survive in this challenging environment. A few of the animals we’ll keep an eye out for are shore crabs, chitons, mussels, snails and barnacles. If we’re lucky we may even find some sea stars, urchins and fish!
Our mentor, Jordan Fish, grew up on Salt Spring Island and has always had a love for all things fishy! It may be due to her last name or her love of island life. Jordan is passionate about facilitating ocean adventures for kid
Getting there: We’ll meet at the Stanley Park Water Park just down from the Vancouver Aquarium. There is pay parking throughout Stanley Park and a parking lot close to the meeting area. The #19 bus stops by the miniature railway, a 5-minute walk from the meeting point. There is also a Shuttle Bus throughout the park.
What to bring: Be prepared for a variety of weather conditions as the shore can often be cooler and more windy than inland. Layer clothing and pack a hat and waterproof jacket; we go rain or shine. For footwear, wear something that has a good grip and you don’t mind getting a little wet. The rocky shore can be challenging to walk on in places and sometimes slippery; however, boots are not required. There will always be options for those not wanting to venture too far into the intertidal area.
A small magnifying glass, trowel, and camera can be useful to bring as well. We’ll bring some bags to collect garbage.
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.