View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
- This event has passed.
May 13, 2017 @ 10:30 am PDT
The May explorer day will be held on May 13 at 10:30am.
An expert bee keeper who takes care of the mason bees at the city of Coquitlum Inspiration Garden will be our nature mentor for the day. The bees have a very early and short life, so we have to fit this in before the second week of May. And, Pasquale has generously offered to hold the Explorer Day in his large backyard with his mason bees in Port Coquitlum!
Mason bees are solitary nesters who nest in small tubes (either man-made or naturally occuring) and rarely sting (in fact, males cannot sting at all). They are one of the earliest pollinators to emerge in the spring.
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.