View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
- This event has passed.
TriCities – CANCELLED
January 7, 2018 @ 1:30 am - 4:00 am PST
CANCELLED – This Explorer Days will begin with a short indoor session that includes learning about birds, how to identify them and practice using binoculars. We then head outdoors, and each participant (and accompanying parent) will be part of a small birding team led by an experienced birder. Each team will conduct a 45 minute bird survey around Noons Creek Hatchery and Rocky Point, recording the number of bird species and individuals seen. After the survey all teams will meet up again for a snack or lunch and we’ll tally up all the bird numbers and compare sightings.
This event will take place on Sunday, January 7th at the Noons Creek Hatchery in Port Moody from 9:00am – 11:30. The Nature Mentor is Karen Devitt, who is also the BC Program Coordinator for Bird Studies Canada. The families are asked to bring binoculars if you have them, warm clothes and appropriate footwear for walking, and a snack. There are no additional costs for this event and is co-sponsored by Nature Kids BC, Bird Studies Canada, and Noon’s Creek Hatchery.
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.