View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
- This event has passed.
January 21, 2018 @ 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm PST
Drive north and follow the signs to Mt. Washington ski area. Take the Nordic Area/Raven Lodge turnoff near the top of the mountain and park at the lodge. It is Mount Washington policy to require drivers to have good winter tires and to carry chains. I have not used chains there in many years, and the freezing level has been hovering around the nordic lodge, sometimes rising higher (so it’s above zero at the nordic area) so the chance of needing them is unlikely.
Costs and logistics:
Snowshoe rentals and a trail pass are $8 for children and $15 for adults.
- snow pants and good winter boots,
- plus layers you can peel off on top as we go,
- and gloves or mittens.
- A small day pack with snacks (ahem, chocolate) and water is handy.
- You can bring your own lunch or buy delicious (though pricey) food from the lodge. There is a large eating area upstairs and rentals are downstairs.
- There is a small tobogganing area, so bring a sled if you have one. This might be a good idea if you have a little one in toe who might not last very long with the snowshoeing. Sleds are not provided but I have two to share. You have to buy a ticket ($1, I think) to cover liability for using the tobogganing area, but your snowshoe trail pass would cover you or your kids for tobogganing.
Each family will be responsible for getting their gear and trail passes. We’ll meet by the ski racks at the lower doors to the lodge (facing the mountains), not the front doors that face the parking lot. Everyone should be ready to go by 1:00 and we’ll make introductions and a plan for our adventure.
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.