View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
NELSON – Cancelled
- 1:30 pm - 3:00 pm
Return of the Kokanee Salmon
Good news, we have confirmed our in-person Explorer Day event for September. We will be meeting at Kokanee Creek Park to learn all about the returning Kokanee salmon! We’ll join head naturalist Joanne Siderius for a tour of the spawning channels and an up close look at the salmon. We may be able to do a dissection as well.
When: Saturday September 19 at 1:30pm.
Where: Meet at the Nature Centre.
Due to COVID, the park has space limitations on some areas of the viewing platforms. To accommodate this we will need to cap the number of participants at 15. I’ll send a registration form out later this weekend. Please, if you sign up but later decide you won’t be attending, let me know. We consistently have folks who sign up for our events but then don’t attend, and we’d like to open up those spots to other families.
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.