View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
- This event has passed.
May 21, 2017 @ 1:00 pm PDT
When: Sunday, May 21st @ 1-3 PM
Where: Lost Lake, Myra-Bellevue Provincial Park
What to Bring: Water, snack, shorts or a change of clothes, boots or water shoes, camera
Our annual snake hunting adventure at Lost Lake! We will hike in to the lake from the access point on June Springs Rd (approx half an hour), learning about plants, animals, and the history of the area. This is in the middle of the burn zone from the 2003 fire, so we will talk a bit about the role fire has on forests and the steps of regrowth. Once we get to the lake, we will ready our nets and catch anything we find; snakes, frogs, bugs, tadpoles, and more! I will bring containers so we can all look at what we find before releasing it back where it was found.
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.