View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
- This event has passed.
April 23, 2019 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm PDT
Lost Lake Snake Hunt
Our annual snake hunting adventure at Lost Lake! We will hike in to the lake from the access point on June Springs Rd (approx half an hour), learning about plants, animals, and the history of the area. This is in the middle of the burn zone from the 2003 fire, so we will talk a bit about the role fire has on forests and the steps of regrowth. Once we get to the lake, we will ready out nets and catch anything we find; snakes, frogs, bugs, tadpoles, and more! I will bring containers so we can all look at what we find before releasing it back where it was found.
The hike is easy enough to do in rubber boots, or you can bring a change of footwear for when we get there. The ground there is also spongy enough to go barefoot if you don’t mind hauling home muddy kids! Also make sure to wear shorts or pants that can roll up as we will be getting right into the water.
The trail access point is somewhat difficult to find if you’ve never been there before, so we will be meeting at the East Kelowna Baseball Field parking lot and carpooling to the trail. There is not a lot of space to park there, so the fewer vehicles the better. Meet at the parking lot at 12:30 pm. If you miss the carpool group, the address of the trail access is 4406 June Springs Rd. When parking, do not completely block access to the roadway.
Cameras are a must for this adventure! As well, please remember to wear sunscreen, bring a water bottle, and have weather-appropriate clothing for the hike.
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.