View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
- This event has passed.
Eastern Fraser Valley
May 22, 2017 @ 10:00 am PDT
Explore the Cheam Lake Wetlands with Nature Mentor, Gord Gadsden
Time for our May Explorer Day, and we have a double treat – Gord Gadsden and the Cheam Lake Wetlands!
Gord is a brilliant guide to the wild places. He is so sought after that we respectfully wait a couple of years before asking him to take us back to our local treasure, the Cheam Lake Wetlands, and show us all its secrets. His enthusiasm and fine sense of humour make our walking tour deeply satisfying and once you have been out with Gord you will look about and know that natural treasures come in layers, both obvious and hidden, and you will find yourself seeking them out wherever you roam.
If you have never been to the Cheam Lake Wetland’s 93 hectares of marsh, lake, and uplands, you are in for a treat. There are a variety of hiking trails and a floating bridge where we will end our session with pond dipping. In case you’ve ever wondered what a dragon fly looks like before it has wings, you’re in for a surprise! Nesting birds, frogs and tadpoles, waterfowl and songbirds, along with the peaceful beauty of the water, will make it a place you will want to revisit.
Please join us on Victoria Day, May 22, from 10 to noon at the Cheam Lake Wetlands parking lot, and dress for the weather – which we hope will require a sunhat :). Feel free to bring a snack or lunch to enjoy at the picnic tables.
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.