View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
- This event has passed.
Eastern Fraser Valley
April 22, 2017 @ 1:00 pm PDT
Coastal Painted Turtle Nest Site Stewardship Project
The time of birth and renewal is here, and our April Explorer Day is a call to come out and breathe the fresh spring air while lending a helping hand to Painted Turtle mothers and babies.
Our club has an important history of stewardship, and with precious few of our native turtles left, we hope you will join us in clearing invasive plants so little turtles have an easier time making their way out of their overwintering nest.
Biologist and award winning conservationist, Andrea Gielens, will teach us about the Painted Turtle and head our stewardship project on Saturday, April 22, from 1-2:30 p.m. in Derouche.
• Please dress for the weather and bring a drink and snack.
• Please bring hand pruners and thick gloves if you have them (blackberry is the biggest problem).
• Although it is not a busy road, there is some local traffic, so please watch your children closely.
Be careful along the banks to avoid disturbing the soil and eggs( if they are still in the nest).
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.