View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
- This event has passed.
Eastern Fraser Valley
February 26, 2017 @ 10:00 am PST
Building Swallow Nest Boxes10-noon
Discovery Annex Room at the Great Blue Heron Reserve
The daylight hours are lengthening and spring is on its way. Swallows are on their way, too. They come from the tropics in search of nesting cavities. Those cavities are disappearing due to loss of forest habitats, and our club has a long history of stewardship projects and swallow conservation, so we plan to have much needed nesting boxes built and installed in areas identified as high need by expert conservationists in our area.
Tree Swallows readily use nest boxes which makes them an excellent conservation tool – plus they are so much fun to build!
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.