View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
- This event has passed.
EASTERN FRASER VALLEY
June 16, 2018 @ 9:00 am - 11:00 am PDT
Toading in Canoes at Ryder Lake
Join us for a Toad-ally fun adventure at 48750 Ryder Lake Road.
You may know about the Ryder Lake Amphibian Protection Project, and if you don’t, it is a project run by the Fraser Valley Conservancy since 2008 that works with Ryder Lake landowners to study the migration patterns of local amphibians. On June 16, we have the super toad-ally awesome opportunity to join Grace Overduin and Kendra Morgan, our Host and Nature Mentor, to learn about the Western toad. Depending on the stage of the toads; we are invited to help put up the fencing that protects the toads during their migration monitor the toads in the toad tunnel review their habitat canoe on the lake and observe the toads metamorphosing.
What to bring: life jacket, water adequate clothing and footwear for the weather; such as sunscreen, runners, rain gear.
Location: 48750 Ryder Lake Road
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.