View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
- 10:00 am - 11:00 am
Christmas Bird Count for Kids!
The Christmas Bird Count for Kids is a fun, bird watching event that builds bird identification skills and contributes to important citizen science for bird conservation. We will learn how to use binoculars and how to identify local birdlife. We’ll take a walk in the park and count the different kinds of birds we see. Our findings will be submitted through an online checklist where they can be used in scientific research. To finish up our morning, we’ll warm up with some hot chocolate, so bring mugs.
Location: 12th Ave and Beach Grove road entrance to Boundary Bay Regional Park Bring binoculars if you have them and dress warm.
A snack might be a good idea and bring a mug if you want hot chocolate.
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.