View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
- This event has passed.
March 4, 2017 @ 2:00 pm PST
Gartley Beach Walk & Explore Saturday, March 4, 2:00pm
Meet at Gartley Beach in Royston
This will be a casual beach walk to look at water birds and creatures of the intertidal. There should be some exposed sand flats to explore. Please RSVP to let us know if you can come. Please dress for the weather and wear gumboots. Pack a snack and a water bottle.
Directions: Drive south from Courtenay on the Old Island Highway. Pass Royston Road (downtown Royston) and Roy’s pub. Continue on past the Trent River bridge. Turn left on Gartley Road, and follow straight to the end where there is a public beach access (be sure not to turn on to Gartley Point Rd, which goes out to Gartley Point.) There is limited parking at the beach access and more parking along road side.
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.