View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
- 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
We are requesting that anyone wanting to attend this Explorer Day RSVP by email by Friday 23rd, as we need to have a sense of numbers for our programming and we also have a group size limit on account of Covid. We will have a maximum of 6 family groups and a total maximum of 15 people, including leaders. It will be “first come first served”, and I will confirm your attendance by email. In your RSVP, please indicate the number and age of participants in your family group.
Where to meet:
We will meet at the Burns Road Entrance to Wildwood – it’s about a 15 minute drive out from Courtenay. From the Percy/Condensery intersection, take Condensery Road North, where Condensery turns into Dove Creek Road, turn left onto Burns Road. Follow Burns Road past Wildwood Road. There is a small parking area for Wildwood on the right hand side. Here is a link to the map in the brochure: https://www.comoxvalleyrd.ca/sites/default/files/docs/Parks-Recreation/wildwood_forest_brochure_june2017.pdf. Please note, parking will be tight. There is a bit of room for parking on the side of the road, but please be very careful around the road. We’ll meet at the information kiosk.
What to Bring:
As always, please come dressed to spend approximately 2 hours outside. The trail is in good shape, so boots likely aren’t required unless it is a very wet day. You may want to bring a snack/drink, but we won’t be taking a formal break for snack this time. Please leave dogs at home, and help us remind the kids to “leave nature in nature”.
We typically head out rain or shine, but I will cancel the outing if winds look too high to be safe in the forest. If the weather looks “iffy” on Sunday morning, I’ll send out an email by 10am confirming whether or not we are going ahead.
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.