View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
- This event has passed.
January 26, 2020 @ 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm PST
Kitty Coleman Provincial Park Exploration
Our first NatureKids Explorer Day of the year will be at Kitty Coleman Provincial Park north of Courtenay. This is an interesting site with forest trails, freshwater stream and beach to explore – plus, a shelter and fire pit to help us out in damp, cool weather! We are hoping to do some exploring of the different habitats in the park, learn about erosion and the power of water in freshwater and shoreline environments and generally have some winter outdoor fun!
I am happy to announce that our club has a new volunteer co-leader – Katrina Dilley. Katrina recently moved to the Campbell River area and is an elementary teacher interested in outdoor/nature education, so we are very lucky to have her join us!
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.