View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
- This event has passed.
Christmas Bird Count for Kids (Virtual Explorer Day)
December 13, 2020 @ 10:00 am - 10:45 am PST
2020 Christmas Bird Count for Kids!
Calling all young birders! Join us online alongside other families and experts for this annual bird survey event. This year’s event will give you everything you need to have your own bird counting adventure from your neighbourhood or local park. To start, we will show you how to tell your Kinglets from Kingfishers and Wigeons from Wood ducks with an intro to bird identification before going over some tools to use on your count. Check out our downloadable resources, here, to enhance your experience!
Families will have the option to share their bird count results by email to have their data included in this community science event!
This program is free for registration and a collaboration between Birds Canada, NatureKids BC, and the Stanley Park Ecology Society.
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.