View a list of upcoming Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
In response to COVID-19, NatureKids BC is providing online resources and interactions, such as Virtual Explorer Days, to ensure the safety of our members. Please read our COVID-19 Guidelines and Policy for any potential in-person gatherings this summer.
- This event has passed.
February 16, 2019 @ 12:30 pm - 3:00 pm PST
Snowshoe and River Otter Tracking
Join us and our Nature mentor, Derek Wilmott, for a short 20 minute snowshoe to little Joe Creek to see how many animal tracks we can spot. In the past, there have been families of river otters spotted in this creek and they leave behind evidence of their comings and goings. Let’s see if we can spot one!
BRING: We will have snowshoes available to lend out, but if you have your own, please bring them. Bring a thermos with a hot drink, a snack, binoculars (if you have some), and your Nature Passport.
LOCATION: Babine Provincial Park- Little Joe Creek trail (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/babine_mtn/babine_parkmap.pdf?v=1548718254386).
We can meet at the Parking located just before Old Babine Lake rd and Babine Lake road intersect to convoy at 12:30. We will leave as a convoy at 12:40. Hike will start from the trail head at 1:00. We will post more information on driving directions/kilometers and amount of time to drive (expect 30 minutes from Smithers).
RSVP: We need to know what numbers of participation to expect, so we can bring enough snowshoes, and the pre-planned supplies for activities. Please indicate numbers in your family and how many adults/kids/toddlers.
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.