Welcome to our Salmon Toolkit and Resource page
We have built a toolkit that you can download with games, tools and activities for kids aged 5-12. There’s a lot to choose from so you can pick and choose the activities that sound the most fun or that make the most sense for your club or class. We have also curated additional salmon resource links from partners across BC.
DOWNLOAD THE TOOLKIT TO GET STARTED:
1) Salmon Toolkit (with a sample Explorer Day template and “how-to” descriptions for various demonstration tools)
2) Species Identification Cards (with marine and freshwater stages) from Department of Fisheries and Oceans
3) Life Cycle Flash Cards
4) Links to local Salmon viewing, hatcheries, and conservation groups
Other activities, links and games:
- Salmon Migration games (Hooks and Ladders, ScienceWorld’s Salmon Migration Obstacle course)
- NOAA Salmon Survival board game
- Salmon Life Cycle Stages Rock-Paper-Scissors Game
- Salmon Art activities
- Smell Your Way Home Activity
- Internal and External Salmon Anatomy Diagrams (male & female versions from Pacific Salmon Foundation)
- Salmon Facts
- Salmon Related Book List
- Colouring sheets from Pacific Salmon Foundation: salmon, otter, sea lion. And more from Pacific Streamkeepers Federation.
- Salmon Vocabulary
- Juvenile Pacific Salmon and Trout ID sheet
NatureKids BC will be running Salmon Explorer Days through our family clubs across BC but you are also welcome to create your own event with your friends, family, or class.
We welcome questions and suggestions. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d also love to hear about your experience with these materials on social media – please tag us! Click here to follow us on Facebook and Instagram.
Thank you to Brenda Guiled for her beautiful salmon art.
We are very grateful to our supporters: