Explorer Days are nature-related outings organized by each club’s volunteer leader(s). Most clubs have Explorer Days once a month. For some Explorer Days, you may build nets and go pond dipping for aquatic insects; on others, you may go explore a local tide pool, learn about mushrooms in a forest, paint, or go bird watching. View a list of upcoming and past Explorer Days and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
- This event has passed.
January 27 @ 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Birding in Maplewood Flats Conservation Area
For our next Explorer Day we are headed to Maplewood Flats in North Vancouver. The Maplewood Flats Conservation Area is a wonderful, family friendly place to go bird watching. More than 200 hundred species of birds are spotted in the park annually. This Explorer Day will be an easy hike, with lots of opportunity to spot and identify birds in the park’s trees and lakes, and along the shoreline. Our nature mentor, John Morton, is an expert birder and will be sharing his extensive knowledge and experience with us. For those of you who are keen to record your observations in an artistic way we will bring along duck outlines that can be filled in with the different coloration associated with the species we see
Where: Maplewood Flats Conservation Area, https://www.vancouvertrails.com/trails/maplewood-flats/
What to bring: Please come dressed for the weather and bring binoculars and cameras. We also recommend a thermos with a hot drink as well! We may do some colouring or drawing so if you can bring your own pencil crayons, crayons or markers that would be great.
Please RSVP here. Looking forward to seeing you there!
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- First and foremost: be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days. (Friends are welcome if space permits.)
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping (feel free to fill it out prior to your event!) and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- To take part in any Explorer Day, all children must be accompanied by an adult guardian, who are responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen (if needed!), snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.