View a list of upcoming and past Explorer Days* and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
*Currently, in response to COVID-19 and to ensure the safety and health of our member families, NatureKids BC is temporarily shifting in-person gatherings to online and virtual resources and interactions. Our Explorer Days will be virtual for the time being, and we look forward to resuming our group gatherings in the future!
- This event has passed.
January 4, 2019 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Christmas Bird Count for Kids!
Our second annual Christmas Bird Count for Kids will take place in Kwomais Point Park in Surrey. Avid birder, Coleen Doucette, will once again be our Nature Mentor for this Explorer Day. The Christmas Bird Count for Kids is an important Citizen Science Project where all the data that the children collect is compiled into a central database. What a great way to celebrate the start of the new year – by connecting with nature AND doing important science work! As an added bonus Coleen has offered to bring her spotting scope so we can have a closer look at the rafting seabirds!
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.