View a list of upcoming and past Explorer Days* and read our Explorer Day Etiquette below!
*Currently, in response to COVID-19 and to ensure the safety and health of our member families, NatureKids BC is temporarily shifting in-person gatherings to online and virtual resources and interactions. Our Explorer Days will be virtual for the time being, and we look forward to resuming our group gatherings in the future!
- This event has passed.
EASTERN FRASER VALLEY
January 12, 2019 @ 10:30 am - 12:30 pm
Christmas Bird Count for Kids!
Have you ever wondered if ALL birds fly south for the winter, and then looked up in the middle of December to see them flying in the sky? Come join us and Nature Mention Janne Perrin from the Chilliwack Field Naturalists to see who stick around for winter! Snack provided 😉
Inspired by the well-loved Christmas Bird Count, the CBC4Kids engages new generations of young birders across North America.
CBC4Kids events are coordinated locally by naturalist groups throughout December and January. Experienced guides show participants how to identify local bird life and use binoculars, then lead them outside to find and count birds. After their adventures, the young Citizen Scientists enjoy hot cocoa together and share their observations. Their findings are submitted through an online checklist and reported to eBird, where they can be used in scientific research.
Location: Great Blue Heron Nature Reserve Annex
Explorer Day Etiquette:
- Be prepared to HAVE FUN!
- Pre-registration with your Club Leader is required for most Explorer Days (Friends are welcome if space permits).
- Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time to ensure enough time for passport stamping and organization. Starting times are firm, and Leaders cannot wait for late-comers!
- Please stay with the Leader and let them know if you are leaving early.
- Children must always be accompanied by an adult guardian, who is responsible for their behaviour. Children consistently disrupting the experience of others may be asked to leave.
- Bring appropriate weather gear, sunscreen, snacks, water, and other useful tools like binoculars, sketch books, cameras, and magnifying glasses.